Instagram was purchased by Facebook in April 2012 for 1 billion dollars, and there was a good reason for that. Facebook saw what was happening. Instagram has become one of the most dominant forces in the world of social media, and for good reason. It’s simple to use. What it does, it does well. And it just works. If you aren’t on Instagram yet, you should try it out to see what all the fuss is about. Just like Facebook, connecting with (or following) others is the key to a good experience, and in addition to your friends you’ll find celebrities, businesses, sports teams, and more, represented there.
So here are some facts about Instagram that you might find interesting. The sources for these facts range anywhere from CNN, to Business Insider, to press releases from Instagram itself:
- Instagram took ½ the time and 2 yrs less than Facebook to reach 150 million users
- 90% of users are under 35 yrs old
- 68% of users are women
- Engagement is 15x more than Facebook
- The # of Likes/minute is now over 510,000
- 9 out of 10 posts are shared to Facebook
- Sunday is the most effective day to post
- The evening hours are the most effective time to post
- There is an increase in Likes by 24% if the dominant color of the image is blue
- 37% of Instagram users have never uploaded a photo
Say what? Instagram is a photo-sharing app, yet over a third of users never post any photos? So then what are they doing? They are watching, and liking, and commenting. Instagram is one of the hottest growing social media tools, and if you are trying to figure out if your business can be successful there, the first step is to get on board.